TWO MEN & A LADY

This is Our Life ~ Our Photo Book ~ Our Journal that will never sit on a shelf, be placed in a chest or find its spot in the attic but instead put on display for all of you so you can share in our joy and sorrows that come complete with life. Learn from our mistakes (THERE ARE MANY) or give advice when needed. Welcome!
Clint ~Teri & Dax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Poll Closed... Chicken Parmesan

Sorry it took so long...

 LEGEND:
" ~ "      instead of 
" * "      additional ingredient I added
"evoo"  extra virgin olive oil  - of course

        
CHICKEN PARMESAN
  • 2 Large eggs ~ I use 1
  • 1 Tsp salt (I use a tad more)
  • 1/4 Tsp black pepper (I use a lot more)
  • 3 Boneless chicken breasts cut into halves
  • 2 Cups crushed Club crackers (I just crush up one whole sleeve of multigrain Club)
  • 1/2 Cup evoo
  • 1 15 Oz. can of tomato sauce ~ Just like with the Cheesy Manicotti recipe, I make my own or you can use your favorite Italian/Marinara sauce that you have on hand.
  • ¼  Tsp of dried basil
  • 1/8 Tsp garlic powder (this is not needed if you are using ready made sauce) 
  • *1 Tbsp  Fleshman’s butter spread with olive oil 
  • ½ Cup grated Parmesan ~ 1 Cup of Romano/Parmesan grated cheese 
  • 6 Slices of mozzarella cheese
Pour crushed crackers into a small bowl.    Whisk egg, salt and pepper in a separate bowl until blended.  Coat entire bottom of baking dish with a thin layer of sauce.  ~  I just spray baking dish LIGHTLY with evoo cooking spray (any cooking spray will do though).  I use cooking spray because the chicken is less likely to get soggy using the spray instead of sauce

Dip chicken (one half at a time) into egg mixture until well coated. 

Coat with crumbs (one half at a time).  ~ I crush my crackers into a plastic bowl with a lid so I can shake it up to better coat the chicken with crumbs or you can use a Ziploc bag if you prefer.  However, using a Ziploc bag can be messier. 

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat (I set mine at medium to high).  Add chicken and cook on both sides until brown.  Once cooked place chicken on a paper plate covered with a paper towel to blot grease. 

Preheat oven to 350F. 

Drain skillet and wipe up excess grease with a paper towel.  Combine tomato sauce, basil and garlic powder in skillet and mix well.  (If you are using a ready made sauce, adding basil and garlic is not necessary.  I use my own sauce only because I like my Chicken Parmesan spicier and saltier).  Bring to boil stirring occasionally; reduce heat.  Simmer, stirring occasionally until mixture is thickened – about 6 minutes.  (The thicker the sauce, the better.  You can add cornstarch if you need to.  The aim is to make the sauce, not as but close to, the same thickness as tomato paste.  If your sauce is too runny it will make the chicken soggy).  Stir in butter.  Pour over the chicken but sparingly.  (This too can make your chicken too soggy, so make sure you don’t completely cover the chicken with the sauce). 

Sprinkle with Parmesan (I cover mine thoroughly).  Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.  Remove the cover and top each chicken breast with mozzarella.  (I sprinkle with extra basil).  Bake 10 minutes longer uncovered.

This recipe goes great with creamed spinach, and/or house salad with garlic bread .  I steam cook my spinach in the microwave for 8-9 minutes.  Then mix ¼ pkg. of cream cheese, the same amount of sour cream along with pepper, regular salt (garlic salt if you prefer) to taste.  I’m sure there are much better recipes for creamed spinach, however, this one is quick and easy

    No comments: