TWO MEN & A LADY

This is Our Life ~ Our Photo Book ~ Our Journal that will never sit on a shelf, be placed in a chest or find its spot in the attic but instead put on display for all of you so you can share in our joy and sorrows that come complete with life. Learn from our mistakes (THERE ARE MANY) or give advice when needed. Welcome!
Clint ~Teri & Dax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Lifetime of Special People

On February 25 it was so wonderful to be able to call my brother and wish him happy birthday without having to make an international call.  This time he was just one state over.  And for the first time in years I got to hear about how his day went without it sounding as if we were using 2 Campbell Soup cans held to our ears with a string attached.  As most know, Brian and family have lived on the Northern side of the rain forest in Brazil since 2001-02. They're now in Georgia.

Within only minutes we were already laughing out loud at the other one's comments when talking about how Brian's day had went (which sounded wonderful by the way - Emma Brown gave him an all day feast fit for a King).

This instantaneous urge to laugh whilst conversing with each other is how it's been with us for as long as I can remember.

When speaking to each other in person even the smallest twitch of expression, smile or tone in our voice can send the other into hysterical laughter.  It's almost like a secret language that I believe most siblings have with one another and our language is definitely spoken through humor.

I can only imagine how silly we must look from someone on the outside looking in.  Which can really be misleading due to the fact that Brian and I both tend to be very serious people on a normal basis... just not when we're around each other.  Sometimes I think even our parents don't know what to make of it.

From Old Photos

However, aside from sharing the same sense of humor, Brian and I not only look as different as night and day, our personalities are as different as night and day.

From Old Photos

He's basically everything I'm not.  He's always been an agreeable, quite, kind, passive....just an all around GOOD SOUL.  Growing up I don't recall him getting into one argument with anyone.  I'm sure it happened... I mean kids will be kids you know... but I can't remember even one.

Except for me of course!  He doted on me at first.  Then I learned to talk and it all went downhill from there.

If I didn't have this picture as proof, I probably wouldn't believe that myself.

From Old Photos

As I got older and was no longer this quite, sweet baby I believe I took on the role as his part-time nemesis.  I say part-time, because one minute we'd be laughing and cutting up then 5 minutes later declaring all out war on each other.  My mother, basically, told me that I was an expert when it came to pushing Brian's buttons.  I knew which button to push at what time to get the reaction I was counting on.   Sadly, mom's pretty accurate.  I remember tearing his Star Wars Millennium Falcon apart with great pleasure among other toys of his.

From Old Photos
I probably had just eaten all his Easter candy too
From Old Photos
 
But if you ask me, that's just a sister's way of showing love. 
Brian got plenty of chances to act out his revenge.  I remember one time he had me convinced I was adopted.  I'm full of stories of the horrible stuff we did to each other as siblings.  Now of course they make me laugh.  However, in my opinion, it's nothing out of the ordinary.  Considering our age difference and that we were brother and sister instead of brothers or sisters.  I'm sure there were many times when Brian wished I was a little brother instead of sister.  And I can't tell you how many times I wished I'd had an older sister to hang out with.  If only to show me cool things like putting on make-up or how to dress...
obviously Brian was no help in that department.

From Old Photos

But I can promise you I've thought often since, about how thankful I am to have had an older brother and more importantly having Brian as a brother.  Because actually I idolized my brother so much you'd have thought he'd hung the moon.  A guy we grew up with (that was my age) said he always thought my brother "was as cool as the other side of the pillow."  My brother could have been the biggest nerd and I still would have "tried" to follow him around everywhere.  He couldn't get rid of me.

Want to know how cool the other side of the pillow was?  The galactic star fighter (or whatever that is) helmet says it all...
From Old Photos

When Brian was in college he became a Christian.   Not long after, if I'm not mistaken, he went to each and everyone of his friends' house, sat them down and told them about Christ.  Everyone should do that, but I can tell you that most of us don't.  It takes a lot of humility, selflessness, and most of all LOVE to sit someone down and give them the message of salvation especially when you know that person will probably scoff at you.

From Old Photos
My brother and his faith has been a huge blessing to my life.  If not for him, I probably wouldn't be a Christian myself.  He never stopped being a witness.  Though I was raised in church all my life by faithful parents, it took my brother to get the message through to me.   I will always be thankful for that.

From Brian, Emma Brown, Natalie, Owen, Claire, Isaac

In August 2000 Brian married his wife, Emma Brown Davis, in their family church at Dom Elisau, Brazil in the most natural, unique, just all around beautiful ceremony I've ever witnessed. Probably the longest ceremony I've ever witnessed too. ;o)
From Brian, Emma Brown, Natalie, Owen, Claire, Isaac
From Brian, Emma Brown, Natalie, Owen, Claire, Isaac
From Brian, Emma Brown, Natalie, Owen, Claire, Isaac

Since, our family has grown tremendously with the arrival of their 5 beautiful children: Natalie Ellen b. May, 2002; Owen b. May 2004; Claire b. January 2006; Isaac b. February 2008; and Caleb b. November 2009. Each one such a tremendous blessing.

From Brian, Emma Brown, Natalie, Owen, Claire, Isaac

It's amazing to watch my brother with his children. It comes to no surprise that they adore him and just like my father, he's an excellent teacher.
From Brian, Emma Brown, Natalie, Owen, Claire, Isaac

Brian, I wouldn't trade you for 5 of the coolest big sisters in the world.  Being your little sister has truly been an adventure.  You are such an awesome brother...make sure you keep up the good work!   ;o)
From Old Photos

Just for fun.  I always tell everyone that I can see just about everyone in our family - both sides - in Dax from time to time.  Even my brother.   Though this picture doesn't do the resemblance (because Dax isn't blowing) justice I thought I'd add it anyways.  And of course I'm only talking about their "jows" spelling please?  I'm guessing you all know what I'm referring to, I just don't know how to spell it?

Dax has jows (sp) not jaws... or is it?  like his uncle.
From Old Photos
From Winter 2009



2 comments:

Mark Leo said...

Wow, those pics of Brian are awesome. Real men sport beards. However, I need an explanation on the overalls.

It all started with playing with Star Wars figures (and the dismembered Falcon..may Han Solo spit on your grave Terri) GI Joe, Transformers and toys guns.

We then moved to BMX freestyle and skateboarding. Brian had a killer board before I did. However, I one upped him when I got a legit freestyle bike and he had a 24inch bike. Why a 24 inch???? I know he was tall but...c'mon. It looked so weird when he put pegs on this huge bike. THEN CAME THE BIGGIE. Everyone was getting 4 Wheelers and Motorcycles. Brian had this killer red and white 4 Wheeler that was so rad. My mom wouldn't/couldn't get me one, so I would ride on back of Brians 4 wheeler. Very kind of him but probably a burden at the time.

I miss showing up on his (your) door step with skateboard in tow and trying to get him to come outside. I knew all he was going to do was shoot basketball and I hated basketball. Nevertheless, I still came over anyways.

Brian was one of those people in my life that I always look back at and miss.

Unknown said...

Thanks Mark, hopefully Brian will see this in the next day or two. Those were the days! I remember the 1st day you ended up on our doorstep. It's a funny story or they way I remember it. The Falcon actually survived. But I don't know what eventually happened to it though.