TWO MEN & A LADY

This is Our Life ~ Our Photo Book ~ Our Journal that will never sit on a shelf, be placed in a chest or find its spot in the attic but instead put on display for all of you so you can share in our joy and sorrows that come complete with life. Learn from our mistakes (THERE ARE MANY) or give advice when needed. Welcome!
Clint ~Teri & Dax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Because You Asked Nicely...

I'm not what you call a good cook, those titles belong to our grandmothers or maybe yourself if you like to cook.  I'm just average. Clint wears the best cook hat in our family due to the fact he cooks far better than I do, but Clint can !REALLY! throw down, let me tell ya.  


You know the saying... nobody cooks lasagna better than my mama.  Well, trust me, I don't claim to cook lasagna better than anyone's mama.  Not even close.


But, I do fix mine a bit different.  So far I've only shared with my mother-in-law and my own mom, until now.  Ha, I've been so guarded with them, you'd think I planned on making money with them someday.  Rachel Ray or Paula Dean I am not so I see no reason  to keep any secrets.  In the future I'm going to post recipes that are my favorite.  


If you are a really good cook, please be gracious and just skip this post, because there's nothing I have to bring to your table.  ;o)  For the rest of you, here goes and since you guys on FB asked for the cheesy manicotti recipe I'll start with that one.


I got the original recipe from Kraft Food & Family Ed. Winter 2008 that came in the mail.    All type that is colored white is what I add to make my version of this recipe. That way you can just use the Kraft version if you like OR the "Teroized" version if you like your food to taste good. ;o)


The Kraft recipes are pretty good but what's great about them is they use ingredients you actually have and they make their recipes quick and easy.  Gotta love that!
If you would like to receive Kraft Food & Family Recipes and Tips, register online at Kraft Food & Family
I haven't received one in a while, but they are excellent.  Especially their holiday edition.

 LEGEND: (Or key if you will, glossary of symbols... you get the point)

" ~ "      instead of 
" * "      additional ingredient I added
"evoo"  extra virgin olive oil  - of course

     
Cheesy Manicotti
Prep: 40 min. / Total: 1 hour 25 min.
  • 1    pkg. (8 oz) sliced mushrooms ~ I skip this sometimes, if I do use mushrooms I chop them up smaller.
  • 2    cloves garlic, minced ~ 2 Tbsp. Of ready minced garlic (we buy the 32 oz jar of Great Value moist minced garlic, it's wonderful to have on hand for all recipes
  • 3        egg whites
  • 1    pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained ~ I do not thaw mine, I just steam cook mine. Put frozen spinach in a microwavable bowl covered but slightly vented and microwave for 8 mins.  If you buy the square pkgs. Just tear off the wrapper, put the white box in a bowl and microwave - no need to cover.
  •                                              
  • *1/2 pkg. (4 oz.) Philadelphia cream cheese .  Stir this in with cooked and drained spinach.  Salt lightly to taste.  OR, depending on your taste buds, you might want to try using 1/4 pkg (2 oz.) cream cheese and 4 tbsp (2 oz.) of sour cream. mixed together, then stir into cooked and drained spinach.
  • 1   container (15 oz) part-skim ricotta cheese ~ If you don't like ricotta, you can use 1 container (15 oz) cottage cheese, but this may make it runnier.
  • 1   cup Kraft 2% Milk Shredded Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese, divided ~ I use Great Value Finely Shredded Italian Cheese (it's a mix of provolone, ramono, parmesan and mozzarella.
  • 1/3  cup Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided ~ I buy the Kraft 100% Grated Romano or Grated Parmesan Romano cheese mix OR Parm-Plus.  Parm-Plus is really good b/c the cheese has less fat and it has added seasoning in it but I haven't seen it on the shelves in a while
  • 1   pkg. (8 oz manicotti shells (14 shells) cooked, drained).  I bring 3 quarts of water to a boil, salt the water generously, then add shells and boil for 7-8 minutes, drain and lightly spray with evoo cooking spray on the shells so they don't stick together.  It's very important that you do not overcook your shells!!  If you do not cook them just right, they will tear!!
  • 2     cups spaghetti sauce ~ I usually make my own using 1 14.5-15 oz can of Hunt's regular unsalted tomato sauce, 1 can of tomato paste, and 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic salt w/ a few extra seasoning to my liking, AND a tbsp. Fleshman's evoo spread  stirred in with sauce and seasoning.  Cook on high then simmer until thick BUT if I don't have time I'll use Chunky Ragu (Sauteed Onion & Garlic) or tweaked Little Caesar's pizza sauce that comes with their Crazy Bread. 
  • * Basil if you like it.  I love Basil so I use a lot.
 PREHEAT oven to 350F.  Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.  Add mushrooms and garlic to skillet; cook 5 min. on medium heat, stirring frequently.  Remove from heat. I mix my garlic straight into my spinach mix and most of the time leave out the mushrooms.  Moist minced garlic tastes horrible if you over heat it (which is easy to do if cooking while trying to keep an eye on your little one)  If I do use mushrooms, then I'll sautee them with garlic in the skillet.  But if you want to leave them out, I say skip the skillet part.  Beat egg whites lightly in medium bowl.  (large enough to hold all ingredient mixtures).  Add mushroom mixture, spinach mixture, ricotta cheese and half each of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; mix well.  Spoon evenly into manicotti shells. ~ I never use a spoon to stuff my shells, I use my fingers.  Sure it's messy, but that way you're less likely to tear the shells.  And it's very easy to tear these shells. 


PLACE in 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Cover with spaghetti sauce.

BAKE 40 min. or until heated through.  Top with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses; sprinkle with basil; continue baking 5 mins. or until mozzarella cheese is melted.

What recipe do you want to see next?
Chicken Parmesan
Lasagna
Low Fat Chicken Alfredo Pizza
Donna's Chicken Lasagna
Greek Chicken



















  
pollcode.com free polls

2 comments:

Mrs. G.I. Joe said...

Oooh that sounds so yummy! I'm a spazz about Italian food. I go way overboard. G.I. Joe says I have marinara in my veins. Post the chicken parm recipe! I've never attempted that. I prefer to get mine from Carrabbas! :)

Unknown said...

Will do! The Chicken Parm isn't as hard as some may think. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I'll try to type it out before we go to Georgia. My nephew is on his way! Should be here sometime this week but we won't be going until next weekend.