TWO MEN & A LADY

This is Our Life ~ Our Photo Book ~ Our Journal that will never sit on a shelf, be placed in a chest or find its spot in the attic but instead put on display for all of you so you can share in our joy and sorrows that come complete with life. Learn from our mistakes (THERE ARE MANY) or give advice when needed. Welcome!
Clint ~Teri & Dax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Genuine House-Cat Purse?

or maybe cat skinned stilettos?

Maybe I'll just start a trophy wall with my first addition being a mounted domestic cat head.

Listen up people, or read up people. Literally. Up in the header of this blog where I wrote "Learn from our mistakes (THERE ARE MANY)." Well that time has come as I bring you a what not to do education from the Powells. I'm now right back to square one when it comes to being overly cautious in regards to my or anyone else's sweet furry friends.

Twice this month Dax has paid for my love for animals and the belief that Dax is safe around our sweet, loving, gentle natured pets. 2 weeks ago he was knocked down head first on the concrete by my dog, Boss, in which he got a blue knot on his head (thank goodness he didn't hit the ground harder!!) because Boss is a big dog.

Now he has another battle wound from our cat. This picture was taken 3-4 days after it happened. So it had healed a great deal.
From Winter 2010

You might argue that I'm beginning to over react, but imagine if this cat has gotten his eye. It could have easily blinded him.

The bad thing is, is that this is our fault not the animals. Boss is a sweet playful dog that got carried away. The cat is the most docile creature I've ever been around and up to that point didn't mind Dax's occasional roughness towards him. He'd usually continue to purr like he loved it.

I don't know what caused the cat to decide he didn't want to be touched but we now have a difficult situation. I don't want Dax to fear animals, but he's not going to be allowed to get too close to them either. Not until he's old enough to understand the danger.

I've constantly heard or even said myself "oh, don't worry, ____ loves kids or that dog/cat wouldn't hurt a flea. My Grandmother thought the same about her small house companion until it tore my hand up for just trying to pet it. The dog had always loved me up until that moment.  Just before I wrote this post, I was pressured by a neighbor to put Dax down to pet a very sweet dog that had been adopted and wouldn't get close to "just anybody."  They didn't understand my caution but though I hate to offend anyone and their pet, it's not going to happen. 

Dax is the problem, not the animal.  Apparently, Dax is too unpredictable and I think animals sense that which causes them to strike.   So, if I run into you and won't let my son down around your pet please don't be offended.  It's just not worth the risk to me.  You don't know how many times I've heard "they've never bitten before..."  until some poor kid or even adult is the first of course. 

After what I've seen recently, I'm going to stand by my belief that animals can pose a huge threat to a child. They can and will retaliate at any moment and for any reason. Better to be safe than sorry.

No comments: