TWO MEN & A LADY

This is Our Life ~ Our Photo Book ~ Our Journal that will never sit on a shelf, be placed in a chest or find its spot in the attic but instead put on display for all of you so you can share in our joy and sorrows that come complete with life. Learn from our mistakes (THERE ARE MANY) or give advice when needed. Welcome!
Clint ~Teri & Dax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The "Hobby"

This week I shared Clint's response to our talk about the yard work that needs to be done - and is getting done - but only one of us is contributing while the other has some fun in the sun while trying to get a bite.

The talk started when I was still working late into the night and Clint was urging me to call it a night.  Of course I politely suggested (politely in Teri language translates to "as a matter of fact" in Clint's language) that if he helped me I would have been finished already.  Of course he agreed but his never ending sighs and comments let me know he wasn't too happy about his task at hand.  Several back and forth "as a matter of facts" later  (such as "can you at least pretend you'd like to help me... I mean this is your yard too")  Clint finally unloaded the final explanation (AHEM... excuse) when he basically said "I thought yard work was your hobby... I didn't know you hated it as much as I do.  I promise, from here on out I'll do anything you want me to and I promise to fake my enthusiasm for it too just so I can make it up to you" .... 

I couldn't help but laugh.  I mean I really got tickled.  I've heard some pretty clever ones from Clint before but that has to be one of the best.  Clint's such a stinker.  What husband doesn't have their arsenal of good excuses or "get out of jail free" comments and compliments. ha ha.  Although we aren't completely finished with our projects for this year, I'm doing all I'm going to do for this month and join Clint fishing.  Yeah, the work will be harder to do when it gets hotter, but so will the fishing. 

Mom and Dad helping me early Saturday with transplanting dirt from our field to one of our beds in great need of good dirt.  Look how black that dirt is!
From Spring 2010
Mom watched or I should say chased Dax while I stood back and took on the role of task master.  This is the real reason Clint goes fishing when there's work to be done.  Who can blame him?
From Spring 2010
Very good dirt
From Spring 2010
Mama's future helper - can't wait!
From Spring 2010
Dad tilling the dirt for me.  Thank goodness I didn't have to do all this!!  The other bed liked to have killed me.
From Spring 2010
Dax loves riding the green mean air conditioned machine with Paw Paw.  As soon as they unloaded the tractor Dax cried until we turned him over to Paw Paw in the cab.  After a couple of trips hauling dirt back and forth, he finally got out.
From Spring 2010
When I got finished laughing at Clint, I explained to him in all seriousness that I like to make things look good but doing the work for it - I absolutely hate. Not to mention the man power. There's only so many rocks and mulch I can carry. So to make up for it the next day he cooked dinner,watched and fed Dax,loaded the dish washer and cleaned up. Totally worked for me! I was definitely content. That's the wonderful thing about Clint, even though I do love to tease him about the excuses he comes up with, he's more than happy to help me out on other things he doesn't mind doing so much but they're things I don't necessarily hate but do love to catch a break from every now and then. It's definitely a trade off that works for us.

I don't want to post pictures of this year's project until it's finished, but it's basically two new beds.  The one Dad was adding dirt to and tilling is for much needed shrubs.  The other is a huge area I tilled up with a hoe, mulched and will be a bulb, tuber and rhizome garden with a rock pathway like the one in the picture, but this pathway will wrap around our dogwood tree and is a bit large in comparison to that one below.

From Dax is 9 Mos Today
I know some of you will want to see pictures, I'll post them when I'm finished or when everything starts blooming - that's if it does...