TWO MEN & A LADY

This is Our Life ~ Our Photo Book ~ Our Journal that will never sit on a shelf, be placed in a chest or find its spot in the attic but instead put on display for all of you so you can share in our joy and sorrows that come complete with life. Learn from our mistakes (THERE ARE MANY) or give advice when needed. Welcome!
Clint ~Teri & Dax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Picky Eater Recipe

If there is only one thing that is difficult about Dax, it's that he is a picky eater.  Most of the time, he down right refuses food and will only eat 1 good meal a day with NO snacks.  Sometimes it's worse than that.  It goes without saying that this frustrates me, no, worries me to no end.   Getting reassurance from his pediatrician on any other concern usually does wonders in getting me to calm down but not when it comes to food.  He'll say, "don't worry, he's still growing..." 

I had hyperemesis gravidarum and actually lost weight when I was pregnant with Dax and even though I know it wasn't my fault, I have a stigma about Dax not eating enough. Especially when it comes to protein.  He'll eat veggies and bread plenty enough but meat is a different story and over all I just don't feel he's getting enough calories from fat (the good fat).  So, I've come up with a recipe that is my own version of GNC Weight Gainer - homemade baby style.  ;o)


It has plenty of protein, as well as, fruit and fiber in order to make sure he gets enough substantial calories.  The best part about it is, of course, that he likes it and doesn't often refuse it.

Happy happy-joy joy...I thought I would share.  Since it's my own recipe, I get to choose the name (how special am I??)

PRO PERFORMANCE POWER OATMEAL 
  • 1 1/2 cup single grain baby oatmeal
  • 3/4 cup 100% all-natural applesauce (no sugar added)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp strawberry jello powder (sugar free)
* Ingredient measurements are an approximate guess.  Meaning, I've never measured out anything, I just add what I think is the right amount of each until I get the taste right.  Stir it all together and serve cold.  No microwaving.   If it turns out too thick, I add a little milk until I get it just right.  Of course that may mean I have to add more strawberry jello powder so it's ~just~ sweet enough.

I also have another recipe that's protein packed that Dax usually won't turn down.  Best part is it's quick.

YOGURT "CHEDDAR MAKES IT BETTER" EGGS ~N~ GRITS
  •  3 Tbsp of Quick Grits
  • 3/4 Cups water  
  • 1-2 Eggs
  • 1 Cup of finely shredded sharp cheese 
  • 1Tbsp Plain Yogurt
Measure grits in microwavable bowl add water.  Microwave for 2 mins.  Beat egg into grits.  Microwave for 1 minute (times may vary with your microwaves.  If 2 eggs, then cook 2 mins).  Mix in cheese and yogurt.  I use a fork.  Waiting to add the cheese and yogurt after eggs and grits are already cooked is important because it cools it down enough to eat without having to wait long.

Pretty clever, huh?   I'm desperate for a pat on the back - even if it is from myself.   But of course we all know this won't last long.  If it does continue to work he'll just find something else to be difficult about.  If only to remind me that I'm still a rookie mom who will always have a healthy share of totally clueless moments.

Of course this new protein packed diet has Dax galloping around like a thoroughbred at Churchhill Downs!

No comments: