TWO MEN & A LADY

This is Our Life ~ Our Photo Book ~ Our Journal that will never sit on a shelf, be placed in a chest or find its spot in the attic but instead put on display for all of you so you can share in our joy and sorrows that come complete with life. Learn from our mistakes (THERE ARE MANY) or give advice when needed. Welcome!
Clint ~Teri & Dax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday, August 10, 2008

My Delivery - YAY! My Recovery - UGH!

I woke up at 2:00 am and had a feeling - I waited until 4:00 am to tell Clint and by 5:00 am we were out the door, by 3:09 pm our Angel was here. And we are enjoying every minute of it so far - even the hard!

He is healthy!!, happy and a calm baby! The nurses even commented on the same. Just like all 1st time parents, we are so in awe and could never have imagined just how much we would love him. I can't wait for all of you to see him!!

Here's the story from that unforgettable day:

I had been told that I was probably going to have back labor due to my back hurting after every weekly appts. at the end. I thought that you were only a candidate for back labor if your baby wasn't facing the right position before you went into delivery. It turns out I was wrong and my mother and those "been there done that moms" were right.

After several hours of my contractions coming less than five minutes apart but were completely tolerable, I thought - hey, I'm going to get off easy - ha, wrong!

Wow, when they finally starting coming about 2 minutes apart I felt like my back bones were being crushed when I would hit a contraction (which would show up on the monitor every time one came) Clint and my mother were fascinated by the monitor and the fact that by watching the monitor they knew I was having a contraction and the higher that white line would spike, the louder I would holler/cry/yell.

I remember when one would start, I would start squinting my face which would prompt Clint and Mom to look at the monitor which then would be followed up by their comments of "Wow, that one is going straight up!" Of course in all my agony I would think to myself "I don't need you to tell me that!!" ha ha. However, it was good that when it would start to go down, they would inform me of that as well, so I knew it would be over in a matter of seconds. I was shocked at how a contraction would be so painful but the second it was over, I was able to smile talk and etc. with no problem and like that horrible contraction had never happened.

That is until as soon as one would end another one would begin directly after and they would spike higher and higher every time. After about an hour or maybe a bit longer of taking that and the fact that they weren't moving things along as fast as you would think, my super awesome labor nurse called the doctor and pleaded my case to the doctor to let me have the epidural early. If I wouldn't have got that epidural soon, I was convinced that I was going to pass out from the pain or die one because each and every one would tire me out to the point where I thought there is not way I can handle another hour or more hours - yikes of this pain. The wonderful doctor obliged and soon (but of course not fast enough - ha ha) The epidural man (anesthesiologist) showed up with all his equipment.

Of course he showed up all bubbly and he started to tell me (in a very bubbly tone) what he was going to do and explaining how it worked (a procedure and directions he had done many of times). Mind you while he was explaining (bubbly tone and all) I was having unbearable contractions so right in the middle of his direction spill, I turned and looked at him and said (dead in the middle of a contraction) "PLEASE DON'T TALK! - JUST DO IT" (in my nicest tone I was capable of). His reply was "that's okay, I didn't want to talk anyway" LOL! Good answer we all thought and Clint and Mom laughed.

Once that epidural kicked in, it was all better from there. Actually it worked too good that I completely lost all feeling in my legs and even up to my stomach. I was so numb that it was kind of uncomfortable and at one point I even asked if I could have the epidural cut down a bit (I know crazy!)

They really insisted that I not do this, so I took their advice left the epidural at the level it was and I'm so glad I did. Because about the time I got to 7 or 8 cm and I started feeling them again. But with one boost, the pain was back to being tolerable again and by that time - victory! I was at 10 cm. It was time to push and the nurse informed everyone (family members all there to cheer me on and await Dax's arrival) that it was time to go to the waiting room. I was so happy to have all of them there. It really helped the time pass by fast.

So everyone headed out except Mom, Clint and Glenda. Meghan got everything ready and gave me my instructions. Sometime earlier I had been informed that Dax had passed meconium and that an NICU nurse would be on hand in case he inhaled once out and got it in his lungs. This would have really upset me, but Meghan made sure I knew that it was nothing to worry about, they just were going to keep him from crying at first until they made sure the meconium was all out.

After an hour of pushing - with Clint on one side and my mom on the other helping me out with Glenda, Clint's mom as a witness and also acted as a tension reliever due to a couple of laughs she got out of us during that time.

Finally, Dr. Goolsby was called when it was time and arrived for the last couple of pushes and as soon as Dax was out he worked his magic of suctioning out his nose and mouth so fast that Dax didn't have time to inhale that sticky stuff that would have been harmful to his lungs and within a flash Dax was laying on my stomach. He cryed just a little but then started looking around very calmly. He looked at me, Clint, Mom (I guess he got a glance at everyone in the room). I think Clint and I both cried a little. Not sure about Mom and Glenda but I'm sure they were in awe. It was amazing to be able to have them there with me and witness that miracle. I will never forget any of it. After the rough pregnancy I had off and on with severe bouts of nausea, migraines - just about every uncomfortable pregnancy symptom you can have - it was so easy to see why mothers are willing to do that all over again. The end result is an absolute gift from God.

The first night I was so excited, that I completely forgot that I had torn and was supposed to take it easy - I guess the epidural was still wearing off. I did so much that I caused myself to have a worse recovery that got worse after I got home. I had to sit longer and wasn't able to walk much at all.

At first I was afraid that maybe I was being a big baby, but by Thursday things were bad enough to call the doctor in which I found out I had a condition that "wasn't common, but happens" since I was breastfeeding, doctor Goolsby decided to not put me on estrogen and wait it out to 10 days to see if it were better. Well day 10 is here and I am MUCH BETTER.

Still having to watch it and take it a little slow but I'm really thankful I can get up and move around now. Clint has been such a great help - I absolutely could not have managed without him. He enjoys every diaper change, late night feeding (basically every moment he gets with Dax) so that it's really been a blessing to have that help. So far the only frustrating problem I've had was my recovery. But I'm so thankful that it wasn't worse.

The picture I attached is a picture my Uncle Alan took. Like all the pictures in this journal, you can double click on it to enlarge it. Good thing, because at first glance, my Aunt Sheila thought that a picture from an earlier journal entry was a picture of someone's rear end. ha ha.

Also..

A little cool detail - minor - but still cool is that August 1st was Dax's initial due date but the computer's said July 31st (only a day).

BTW, those 2 ultrasounds put his due date at Aug 1. (so I think it is crazy! that Dax actually falls in the less than 5% of babies that are actually born on their due date) - The same computers said he was going to be over 8lbs. Guess YOU STILL CAN'T TRUST TECHNOLOGY 100%

August 1st is also the due date by doing it the old school way which is by the last LMP date. My mom and SueAnn had figured calculated this up early on and now have complete bragging rights. Ha ha.

However in the last couple of weeks Dr. Goolsby knew what he was talking about by feeling of my stomach. He commented at week 37 that he wasn't going to be a very big baby probably 7. Meghan took down everyone's predictions while I was in labor, and she predicted the closest at 7lbs and 2oz while me. My nephew Austin had predicted 7 lbs and 2 ozs as well. Me, mom and Dr. Goolsby came in 2nd with a 7lbs and 6oz prediction - It's so funny to me that we ALL were off by close to a whole lb.

I only gained 13 lbs the whole time so I at the end we all started to believe that 8lbs was probably not the case (although still not impossible!) but I would tell people that he was going to be long and skinny like a Ramon Noodle. Well, his arms and legs are long and lanky and he was only 6lbs and 7oz so I guess I was right.

Being that Dax was completely healthy!! The weight of 6 lbs and 7 ozs was perfect as far as I’m concerned.

No comments: